"A Retrospective & Best Practices Identification"
Part of the American Recovery & Reinvestment Fairness Campaign
Where: PRESIDENT WILLIAM H TAFT HISTORIC SITE
2038 Auburn Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45219
Saturday January 31, Cincinnati, Ohio 8:00 AM - 4:00PM
- General Chairman Joesph Debro Co-Founder, National Association of Minority Contractors (NAMC)
- Co-Chairwoman Pandora Ramsay, Founding President , Ohio Fairness Campaign
- Co-Chairman Fredrick Hargrove, Sr. PE, MBA. former Chairman of Cincinnati Change
- Co-Chairman Irvin Henderson, former Chairman, National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC).
- Convener Dr. Robert Day PhD, President, Center for Urban & Rural Development
- Executive Coordinator, Michael Cole, President, Thouh Communications
50 YEAR REVIEW & ANALYSIS
WHAT WORKED? WHY NOT?
Among the issues to be reviewed -
- War On Poverty: Community Action Agencies, Economic Opportunity Act of 1964,, Demonstration Cities and Metropolitan Development Act of 1966 (Model Cities), Civil Rights Act of 1964, Civil Rights Act of 1968
- Black Capitalism, Philadelphia Plan, Selected Contractors Strategy
- Executive Order 8802 Fair Employment Practices and follow-on actions
- Public Law 95-507 and modifications
- Ohio House Bill 584 Set Aside and its descendants such as EDGE
- The Small Business Investment Act and Minority capitalization programs such as Specialized SBIC’s [MSBIC’S]
- Construction Apprenticeship Programs
- Small Business Administration (SBA) and other business economic and technical assistance programs
- CETA, New Careers, Jobs Corps, Military Service, Peace Corp, Vista
- Renewal Communities, Empowerment Zones
- National and Regional Purchasing Councils
- Positive capacity building pass-throughs, joint ventures, and mentor protégés
- Non capacity building pass-throughs, fronts, and joint ventures
12:45PM – 4:00PM
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?
BEST PRACTICES FOR FAIRNESS: JOBS AND CAPACITY BUILDING INFRASTRUCTURE – LEED [GREEN/ENERGY] – REDEVELOPMENT
- Access to Capital & Credit: Dr. Robert Day, Dr. Herb Smith and the Institute for Open Economic Networks
- Commercial, Retail and Residential Development: Irvin Henderson, President The Henderson Company
- Construction and LEED Buildings: Fred Hargrove, PE. MBA, President, Hargrove Engineering, LLC with invited - Small, Medium and Large Contractors
- Next Generation Workforce Development and the American Labor Market: Bill McCoy, President, The McCoy Company; George B. Edwards, Founder & President, Black Trades Council of Ohio Invited – construction craftspeople including union members, apprentice and journeymen, along with workforce policy makers.
- Health Policy Options and Telemedicine: Mark Batson, Executive Director, PolicyBridge [think-tank]; Carl White, President The Net Video
- Broadband America and SMART Buildings: Hershel Daniels, Junior, Co-Founder MDi and invited Technologists